Thursday, February 1, 2018

"Growth is painful. Change is painful. But, nothing is as painful as staying stuck where you don't belong".

       I started the Occupational Therapy program merely one month ago, yet, it feels like much, much more than that. I cannot describe exactly what I expected at the beginning of this journey, but it has definitely felt more like the scene in the first Hunger Games where all the tributes have just entered the arena, and start sprinting towards the forest while being shot at with arrows and other exterminating objects. Although at times I have asked myself, "what if I don't make it", even thus far, I have learned an unimaginable amount and have been pushed to grown in ways I did not think possible. So, what do I have to say to anatomy practicals, uncooperative printers, the odd room organization in buildings that makes me walk in circles every day, etc? Bring it. You have only made me want it more. 
        I will not go into the detail about all the obstacles I have encountered, but rather focus on the overwhelming feeling of respect for all Occupational Therapists, including all of my classmates. One instance that demonstrates what I am describing is my superficial understanding of the meaning of evidence-based practice at the beginning of the program. I knew the gist of it, OTs practice based on common evidence. However, as we  discussed in more detail I started to realize this knowledge and the effort to maintain your information up-to-date is the foundation of OT. It is the base of optimal treatment in our client-based approach. After seeing with my own eyes, the time and grit dedicated to becoming a better person and competent professional in order to help people is admirable and incredibly humbling. From my exposure thus far, even though I am sure this is only the tip of the ice-burg), it seems like more work but for better quality care. And it is absolutely worth it. 

    2 comments: